So continuing the creations using my Ciate Nail Lab, the next polish is called ‘Kuraokami’. Of course the name of this polish has continued with my theme of being dragon related: ‘Kuraokami’ according to Wikipedia “is a legendary Japanese dragon and Shinto deity of rain and snow”. Hence why this polish is glittery and cool in temperature! (It was actually really hard to find a dragon for snow – plenty for sea, air, earth, etc but no snow?!)
The photo shows three coats of ‘Kuraokami’ over no base colour, as you can see it’s not quite opaque but I didn’t dare put on any more layers as it might have taken forever to dry.
‘Kuraokami’ was created by mixing two polishes – ‘Amazing Gracie’, a pinky white, and ‘Ferris Wheel’, a cool blue. As well as the bar glitter named ‘Galactic’ and a white glitter named ‘Daydream’.
So this is my third hand-made polish! It’s a fiery blend of reds and golds so of course had to be named ‘Dragon Fire’. I used ‘Mistress’ for the coloured base (red), the red glitter is ‘Ignite’, the gold glitter is ‘Pirouette’ and the gold hexagons are named ‘Bombshell’. This is only one coat, it’s rather dense and with such a strong red tint it doesn’t actually even need a base colour! It’s a shame because the photos just don’t show up how glitzy and rich this mix actually is!
So earlier today I posted my second hand-made polish ‘The Hydra’ and I just wasn’t impressed with it – it felt a bit flat, bland and boring. So after sitting looking at it on my nails for a few hours it clicked to me how to make it maybe a little bit better. I added some ‘Crowd Surf’ a green glitter and boy has that changed the whole look! I actually like it now! So much better right? This is only two coats of ‘The Hydra’ over nude nails, compared to the old polishes three coats, and it doesn’t look as patchy either. However, it’s now super thirsty for top coat – probably because of so much glitter now, so it feels rough after one top coat but would probably be fine after two?….
So this is my second creation using the Ciate Nail Lab. I was a bit stuck as to what to do next if I’m being honest, I was so happy with ‘Dragon Scales’ I didn’t want the next one to be a fail. I don’t think I’ve quite nailed it this time (ha, how many times do nail bloggers hear that one). I don’t think it’s a very exciting mix, I have however cracked the mixing;
In one of the the empty bottles, intended for loose glitter mixes, I poured in the glitter first (no sticking to the sides, no clogging, etc) and then poured the suspension top coat in. This worked so much better – not as messy nor as frustrating as adding glitter to suspension. BUT! I think I can improve on it still…
At first I was going to name this one ‘Poseidon’ but I kind of liked the idea of sticking with a dragon theme (I love a theme, can’t resist it) and of course a ‘Hydra’ is “a serpent-like water monster with many heads”*. The polish consists of lots of ‘Splash’, the blue glitter, and ‘Prism’, the dark blue bar glitter, and then a teeny tiny pinch of ‘Nightfall’, a black glitter. Then to add a little colour to the suspension I put in more than a few drops of ‘Power Dressing’. The photograph shows two coats of ‘The Hydra’ with no base colour – you can just see the blue tint. What do yous think of this one? *According to Wikipedia.
So I finally plucked up the courage to make a polish using my Ciate Nail Lab. It includes a good selection of glitters so I couldn’t resist making a glitter polish to start with, I had the idea for this one almost immediately after seeing them. I used ‘Crowd Surf’ (green), ‘Nightfall’ (black) and ‘Bombshell’ (gold hexagons) for the glitter mix and one of the suspension top coats. You only get 6 bottles of it, so eeek! As well as 4 empty bottles but no thanks to anymore loose glitter mixes. Once my creation was mixed, getting it in the bottle was actually pretty tricky and messy. They provide a funnel which is fine but at first the glitter just sits on top of the ‘suspension’, so I added the mixer ball which sat on top of the glitter sitting on top of the suspension, hm. So I jabbed the brush in but that just sort of clogged it up and made it spill over the sides and it was a bit of a frustrating ordeal. So after several repeats of jabbing, mixing, shaking and tapping I eventually got it all in and thoroughly mixed. Hooray! I’ve thought of a new method for mixing my next polish, so I’ll see if that works better. And the name, well that was easy if not obvious – ‘Dragon Scales’!
This is three coats of ‘Dragon Scales’ over Barry M ‘Key Lime’.