Stag Surgery…

So there’s a really interesting interiors shop quite local to me (Kudos Interiors) – each time we go in there’s always something to catch my eye and it often makes you want to redecorate whole rooms at a time (if money was no object of course). My mum has recently taken a liking to the whole ‘tartan/country/rustic’ style so we couldn’t believe our luck when we saw this injured stag for clearance at only £10! My mum was quite happy to take it ‘as was’ – she planned to turn it side on so the breakage wouldn’t be noticeable, but I knew I could go one better and actually repair it. I’m sure the woman in the shop thought we were mad paying £10 for a clearly broken lamp but if only she see how handsome he is now!

So how did I do it?
I decided to use air drying clay as I knew it would texture and paint quite well. I doubt I could have colour matched as effectively had I used polymer clay. Due to the antler was quite thin and long I thought it best to use a straightened paper clip up the middle for extra support. I then textured it to look more like the original antler.


Once it was dry, I painted it using acrylic paint – this was the trickiest part and it took the longest. As I couldn’t get an exact match, I sneakily painted the other antler with the paint I’d mixed in hope that it wouldn’t be noticeable, as they now technically matched in colour. To attach the antler I used silicone glue and left to dry for a while.  My mum was over the moon at the results and so was I! What a steal for £10!


Author: WonderfulWolf

Crafter. Nail Painter. Dinosaur Wrangler. 26, Left-Handed, Scottish.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: